A promotional and educational project which brings together talented European documentary film producers
EMERGING PRODUCERS is an industry flagship project of the Jihlava International Documentary Film Festival and the only one of its kind designed for documentary film producers in Europe.
Every year we select 18 talented producers (17 European and one representing a guest country), which we provide with educational, networking and promotional support. While the main part of the project takes place at Jihlava IDFF annually at the end of October, other activities and the promotion of Emerging Producers take place at major film events throughout the year.
As of today and after four successful editions, 71 film professionals are proud alumni of the project, many of whom have already become established in the film world and receive prizes at major film festivals around the world.
The main objective of the programme is to interconnect talented European producers with other film professionals, especially those working in documentary cinematography. The project should also provide the participants with an easy access to information in the field of audiovision, deeper and wider orientation in the film market but also help them to establish contacts with producers from other countries, and thus increase the potential of future European coproduction projects.
- David Bohun / Mischief Films / Austria
- Tibor Keser / Restart/ Croatia
- Jan Macola / Mimesis / Czech Republic
- Rikke Tambo Andersen / Bullitt Film ApS / Denmark
- Talvistu Eero / Kinoport Film / Estonia
- Csinidis Jean-Laurent / Films de Force Majeure / France
- Jasmina Sijerčić / Bocalupo Films / Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Natia Guliashvili / CineMark / Georgia
- Sarah Schipschack / vitakuben / Germany
- Ágnes Horváth-Szabó / BULB Cinema / Hungary
- Marco Alessi / Dugong Films / Italy
- Maciej Kubicki / Telemark / Poland
- Filipa Reis / Uma Pedra no Sapato / Portugal
- Bianca Oana / Monogram Film / Romania
- Marek Urban / Sentimental Film / Slovakia
- Carles Pastor Parés / Loto Films & Gaia Audiovisuals / Spain
Guest country – Mexico:
- Julio López Fernández / Kino Glaz El Salvador
- Adriana Trujillo / POLEN Audiovisual
EMERGING PRODUCERS 2017 / 5th edition / October 25–29, 2016 / Jihlava IDFF
WORKING LANGUAGE / English
PARTICIPATION FEE / 150 EUR - paid by the selected participants
ADDITIONAL PARTICIPATION COSTS / 550 EUR - in collaboration with the respective national film funds and institutes (includes travel and accommodation)
SUBMISSION DEADLINE / March 31, 2016
CONTACT / Jarmila Outratová / Head of Industry Office / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Producer with a several years’ practice on the local market (i.e. not a student or recent graduate) with a capacity for future professional growth and with ambitions to be active on the European market
- At least one realized film (fiction or documentary, mid-length or feature) which has entered theatrical distribution, has been screened at a festival etc.
- Previous participations at other workshops is considered an advantage
- Eligible countries: EU Member states (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK), Switzerland, Island, Liechtenstein, Norway, Turkey, countries of Western Balkans (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Serbia) and Eastern Partnership countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine) and Russia.
- Guest Country of Emerging Producers 2017: Mexico
Coorganizer of Emerging Producers 2017
Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, Catalan Films and TV, Creative Europe Desk – MEDIA in the Czech Republic, Danish Film Institute, Estonian Film Institute, Georgian National Film Center, Instituto Mexicano De Cinematografia, MDM Mitteldeutsche Medienförderung, Romanian Cultural Institute
The programme is divided into three main parts:
Promotion | Various levels of presentation of EP (Evening Show presentation, Meeting with established European producers, Lunch with festival directors etc.) at key European film events.
Networking |Making quick and easy contact with the VIPs of the documentary film industry community (One-to-One meetings, practical attendance at other industry events etc.)
Navigation | Getting oriented in European film industry and institutions (via master classes, case studies and lectures)
The programme includes a personal presentation of the producers as well as an official presentation to film professionals and press. The Emerging Producers project is accompanied by a specially tailored catalogue. By using a unique design it combines personal profiles and professional backgrounds of each of the producers.
The Emerging Producers are being presented at major film events throughout the year. A reception is traditionally organised in their honour during Berlinale, they are being presented at the Karlovy Vary IFF, and we promote them as the producers worth watching in respective year also through other means, such as citylights or catalogues.
A fundamental part of the EP programme consists in various forms of informal meetings where people get to know each other and gain easy access to contacts for future international co-operations unlike in official negotiations and e-mail correspondence. However, we are particular about the fact that even the informal meetings have a specific form with a reasonable purpose to fulfil the networking aim.
The individual meetings are planned for carefully selected specific circles of professionals. The aim is to help the producers meet all the important persons in the field of audio-vision present at the Jihlava Industry Programme in the course of the project. For a higher efficiency of the individual meetings, a great emphasis is placed on the seating plan. This will increase the efficiency of the event and will prevent the clustering of people from the same regions who already know each other.
In today’s times of rapid technological development and an expanding film market, it is often very hard for a beginning producer to get oriented on the film market and understand how the whole mechanism works. It may take several years for a talented producer to meet the right group of people where he or she can start co-operating, financing and producing his or her films.
The Jihlava Industry Programme is conceived so as to represent a real entrance gate to the film industry with a focus on creative documentary film and its forms overlapping with fiction film and various reality TV formats. It also focuses on the essential branches in the field of distribution and film sales with the aim of making the producers’ way to the desired results easier.
The individual parts of the EP programme create an information cluster to help a beginning European producer get oriented on the market.
Among the experienced tutors that guided our Emerging Producers in the past were Amra Bakšić Ćamo, Heino Deckert, Paolo Benzi, Irena Taskovski, Luciano Barisone, Peter Jäger, Sibyl Kurz, and others.